- Born: 26 May 1782, Pendleton County, Virginia
- Marriage (1): Catherine Barbara Herring on 27 Aug 1805 in Fairfield County, Ohio
- Died: 21 Mar 1852, Lima, Allen County, Ohio at age 69
- Buried: Wesley Chapel Cemetery
Pendelton County, Virginia, where William Ward was born, is now in West Virginia.
William Ward migrated to northern Ohio in about 1810 from what is now West Virginia.
Wesley Chapel Cemetery is located on the west side of Cole Road, 4 miles north of Lima, Ohio.
The Will of William Ward was recorded on April 5, 1852 in Will Book A, Page 199, listing the following children: Elizabeth Moyers, daughter (wife of Henry Moyers), James Ward, son; Nancy McCray, daughter ( wife of James McCray); George Ward, son; Sarah Moyers, daughter, (wife ofIsaac Moyers); Jacob Ward, son; Peter Ward, son; Lydia Hitchcock, daughter, (wife of William Hitchcock); William Ward, son; and Isaac Wells, relationship not listed. Also the children of William Ward; Sarah, Eliza and Mary Ann, his grandchildren. Isaac Wells of Pickaway County was named executor and Gearge Ward was named guardian to the children of William.
He owned land in Fairfield, Putnam and Allen Counties at the time ofhis death. It was estimated his holdings in Allen and Putnam counties totaled more than 1500 acres. His will was signed Nov. 29, 1850 in Lancaster Ohio, Fairfield County. The will was recorded in Allen County but depositions of witnessess were taken in Fairfield County.
Deeds from William Ward to his children:
1. To Elizabeth and Henry Moyers, SW quarter of Section 2, Twp. 3S, Range 6E, Sugarcreek Twp., 160 acres.
2. To James Ward, W half of N quarter of Section 21, Twp. 1S, Range 7E, Monroe Twp., 80 acres; E half of SW quarter of Section 1, 3S, Range 6E, Sugarcreek Twp. 80 acres; W half of SE quarter of Section 1,Twp. 3S, Range 6E of Sugarcreek Twp., 80 acres. Total 240 acres.
3. To Nancy and James McCray, SE quarter of Section 14, Twp. 3S, Range 6E, American Twp. 160 acres.
4. To George Ward, NE quarter of Section 14, Twp 3S, Range 6E, American Twp. 160 acres.
5. To Sarah and Isaac Moyers, West half of NE quarter of Section 35, Twp. 2S, Range ?E, Sugarcreek Twp., 80 acres, and East half of NW quarter of Section 35, Twp. 2S, Range ?E, Sugarcreek Twp., 80 acres. Total 160 acres.
6. To Jacob Ward: SE quarter, Section 20, Twp. 2S, Range 8E, MonroeTwp., 160 acres, and East half of SE quarter of Section 4, Twp. 2S, Range 7E, Monroe Twp., 80 acres. Total 240 acres.
7. To Peter Ward: SW quarter of Section 20, Twp. 2S, Range 7E, MonroeTwp., 160 acres, and West half of SE quarter of Sec. 4, Twp. 2S, Range 7E of Monroe Twp., 80 acres. Total of 240 acres.
8. To Lydia and William Hitchcock: SW quarter of section 31, Twp. 2S, Range 7E, Monroe Twp., 155.5 acres, and East half of NW quarter of Section 9, Twp. 2S, Range 7E, Monroe Twp.., 80 acres. Total 235.5 acres. 138,139,140
William married Catherine Barbara Herring, daughter of Johann Phillip Herring and Anna, on 27 Aug 1805 in Fairfield County, Ohio. (Catherine Barbara Herring was born on 9 Apr 1780 in Pennsylvania and died on 5 Nov 1850 in Fairfield County, Ohio.)