William McKinley Coller
- Born: 5 Aug 1895, Snover, Sanilac County, Michigan
- Marriage (1): Ethel May Miller on 19 Jul 1917 in Flint, Michigan
- Marriage (2): Hazelle Nelson
- Died: 9 Nov 1975, Ocala, Marion County, Florida at age 80
- Buried: 12 Nov 1975, Highland Memorial Park, Ocala, Marion County, Florida
William McKinley Coller was also called "Bill".
INFORMATION FROM SOCIAL SECURITY APPLICATION
Address: Box 363, Owosso, Michigan
Age on Last Birthday: 58
Date of Application: May 1, 1954
Date of Birth: August 5, 1895
Father's Full Name: William E. Coller
Mother's Full Name; Ada Cains
Business Name of Employer: Periodical Publishers Bureau, Inc.
616 Hammond Bldg., Detroit, Michigan
Place of Birth: Snover, Sanilac County, Michigan
INFORMATION FROM WWI DRAFT REGISTRATION
Address: R.D. No. 1, Snover, Michigan
Date of Birth: August 5, 1895
Citizenship: Natural Born Citizen
Employer: Self Employed
Employer Location: Lamotte Township
Dependents (Parents/Immediate Family): None
Married or Single: Single
Previous Military Service: None
Claim Exemption: No
Color of Eyes: Grey
Color of Hair: Dark Brown
Registration Precinct: Lamotte
Registration City or County: Sanilac
Registration State: Michigan
Registration Date: June 5, 1917
Ethel Miller and William Coller were married on July 19, 1917. A 1917 plat map shows William owned 40 acres adjoining his father's land. Just north of the William's original 40 acres were an additional 40 acres owned by Jesse Coller. On November 8, 1918 William took out a mortgage to buy Jesse's property giving him a total of 80 acres. The mortgage amount was $3836.77 paid by Commercial State Bank. Eldon was born September 19, 1919 on this farm (original 40 acres) and this is where they lived in the 1920 census. The 1920 census shows William, Ethel and Eldon living on their farm. The farm was not doing well so William, Ethel and Eldon moved in with her parents at 1422 Richfield Road (now Davison Road). William was working at the Buick plant in Flint and selling insurance. In 1927 they were living at 214 W. Dartmouth Street in Flint and William was selling insurance.
Karen Coller Curell remembers Bill as being tall and slender and working in the insurance business.
Marcella Criner was a student who stayed with Bill and Hazel Coller when they lived in Owasso. This is her recollection:
So glad to hear from you. I used to live with your grandfather and his wife, Hazelle, in the early 1940s while I was a student at Owosso (MI) High School. I always loved him. He was such a nice man. And he had a high regard for me, too, I know, even though he nicknamed me "Wild Bill" because I did every errand so speedily!! I helped Hazelle check her students' papers every night, ran errands to the store, and helped clean house every Saturday morning before I went home for the weekend. Was paid $1.00 plus my room and board for that. And I was glad to get it!! One other important job was for me to help Billy find his pipe almost daily. He'd drop it down and forget where it was.
Billy and Hazelle lived in three different houses in this area. I lived with them in two. The first was a rented apartment only a block from the high school where Hazelle taught. The second was a duplex home they bought just half a block away from that apartment building, so it was still within walking distance for her. After I went on to college, another girl lived with them, as I had done.
She and Billy convinced Hazelle to sell the duplex and buy a brick farm house plus acreage north of town. Hazelle had to ride to school on the same bus as the school kids. She hated that fact.. They bought the place the same year my husband and I bought ours. Billy laughingly offered to sell the house to us for the price they had paid. Of course, having just gone into debt for this one, we turned down the offer. We didn't have enough money coming in to make the payments on that one, I'm sure. And, yes, all of the places are still here and lived in. The farm house has been altered--- the large porch has been torn off.
Marcella had Bill's family Bible and many pictures.
William McKinley Coller's death certificate states that he died at Monroe Memorial Hospital located in Ocala, Marion County, Florida on November 7, 1975. The cause of death was chronic pulmonary emphazema. He was survived by his wife, Hazelle Nelson, and they lived at 315 S.E. Watula Avenue, Ocala, Marion County, Florida. He was buried in Highland Memorial Park on November 12, 1975. The funeral home was Hiers Funeral Home. He was a retired insurance broker.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Place: This map shows Snover, Michigan. The birthplace of William McKinley Coller.
2. Cemetery: Highland Memorial Cemetery: Ocala, Marion County, Florida.
3. Occupation, 1917, Buick Plant, Flint, Michigan.
4. Picture: William and Eldon Coller, 1922.
5. Residence, 1946, Owosso, Michigan. This information was in his mother's 1946 obituary (Ada Mary Caines Coller).
6. Picture: Bill and his father William Ellsworth Coller: Parliament Hill, Ottawa, Canada.
7. Residence: Box 363, Owosso, Michigan, 1954. Address on Social Security application dated May 1, 1954
8. Residence: 315 S.E. Watula Avenue, Ocala, Marion County, Florida, 1975. 1
9. Property. The boundaries here are from a 1917 plat map of Lamotte Township, Sanilac County, Michigan. It shows William McKinley Coller owning 40 acres. In 1920 William bought an adjacent 40 acres owned by Jesse Coller giving him 80 acres for farming. Click on the image for better viewing.
10. Picture: Kearsley Park Evangelical Church. This is where Ethel Miller and William Coller were married, It is located at 1801 Lewis Place, Flint, Michigan. It is about half a block from the church to the home of Miller family home which no longer stands.
William married Ethel May Miller, daughter of John Harvey Miller and Alice Paulina Leary, on 19 Jul 1917 in Flint, Michigan. The marriage ended in divorce in Jan 1929. (Ethel May Miller was born on 20 Nov 1899 in Liberty Township, Putnam County, Ohio, died on 31 Jul 1973 in Armada, Michigan 2 and was buried in Bruce-Armada Cemetery, Romeo, Michigan.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
1. Divorce, Jan 1929, Flint, Genesee County, Michigan.
Ethel May Miller and William McKinley Coller were married in Flint, Michigan at the Evangelical Church by Rev. L. H. Hayes.
William next married Hazelle Nelson. (Hazelle Nelson was born on 27 Jan 1895 in Michigan, died in Nov 1985 in Ocala, Marion County, Florida and was buried in Highland Memorial Park, Ocala, Marion County, Florida.)