Shirley Elaine Makima
- Born: 31 Jul 1924, Highland Park, Michigan
- Marriage (1): Eldon Hayes Coller on 9 Oct 1948 in Detroit, Michigan
- Died: 13 Oct 2014, Owosso, Michigan at age 90
Some general notes:
On July 31, 1924, Shirley was born to Sisko Elaine Makima (Hokkanen) and Enoch Erhardt Makima in Highland Park, Michigan. Growing up Shirley lived in Michigan and Ohio due to transfers her father had while working in the automobile industry. The family was back in Michigan when Shirley graduated from Lincoln High School, Ferndale, Michigan in 1942. When Shirley was attending the University of Michigan, her parents moved to Flint, Michigan where her father, Enoch, owned a car dealership. Shirley graduated from the University of Michigan in 1946 with a B.D. in Design.
Following is a memorial to Shirley Elaine Coller:
Shirley Elaine Coller, age 90, died on Monday, October 13, 2014 in Owosso, Michigan.
On July 31, 1924, Shirley was born to Sisko Elaine Makima (Hokkanen) and Enoch Erhardt Makima in Highland Park, Michigan. Growing up Shirley lived in Michigan and Ohio due to transfers her father had while working in the automobile industry. The family was back in Michigan when Shirley graduated from Lincoln High School, Ferndale, Michigan.
Shirley then attended the University of Michigan and graduated with a B.D. in Design. She was also a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority which she continued to support long after she received her degree.
After earning her degree she worked at an art studio where she met Eldon Coller. Shirley and Eldon were married on October 9, 1948.
While raising a family she maintained her interest in art and continued to be an active painter. She also made jewelry. For a number of years she taught in the Birmingham school system.
Shirley is survived by Eldon, her husband for 66 years. Her children Mark (Pam), Gary (Sherri) and Linden Martin. She is also survived by her sister, Lila Riopelle, eight grandchildren and five great grandchildren.
She will be remembered not only in our hearts, but in the art she has left for people to appreciate for years to come.
Noted events in her life were:
1. Degree: BD in Design, 1946, University of Michigan.
2. Residence, 1951, 24261 Gardner, Oak Park, Michigan. This was the first home purchased by Eldon and Shirley Coller.
3. Residence, 1948, 4835 Bedford Rd., Detroit, Michigan. This is where Eldon Coller and Shirley Makima lived when they were first married.
4. Graduation: High School Graduation, 1942, Lincoln High School, Ferndale, Michigan.
5. Place, 1942, 17544 Woodingham, Detroit, Michigan. This is where Shirley lived when she graduated from High School. This was also her home residence while attending the University of Michigan.
6. Place: 3050 Kensington Rd., Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Shirley Coller lived in this home when she was around 16 years old. The home is showing its age in this 2014 photo, but it was much newer in 1940.
7. Picture: Shirley and Lila. This is a picture of Shirley and Lila Makima when they were teenagers.
Shirley married Eldon Hayes Coller, son of William McKinley Coller and Ethel May Miller, on 9 Oct 1948 in Detroit, Michigan. (Eldon Hayes Coller was born on 20 Sep 1919 in Sanilac County, Michigan and died on 13 Mar 2015 in Holland, Michigan.)
The wedding reception was held at the Botsford Inn in Farmington Hills, Michigan.